Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Blog Post 6: Videos

Multimedia Icons

Richard Miller: This is How We Dream

These videos are inspiring. I had never really thought about the implications of global communication through technology on writing and the humanities. I agree with Mr. Miller that the changes taking place as a result of technology are, “The greatest change in human communication in human history.” As a person who has studied history and loves to contemplate how future historians will tell our stories, I am curious about what the true significance of these changes will be 100 years from now. When we are living it, sometimes we do not appreciate that a real revolution is taking place. I am very excited to be a part of it.

Some of the things I found most profound in the first video include the ideas that we are sharing knowledge indefinitely and we are using network collaboration to compose unique, visual publications. When I was young, if a book went out of print you may not ever be able to get it again unless you happen to run across it at a used bookstore. Now, when writings are placed on the Internet they are theoretically there forever. Because of our ability to exchanged ideas and information so easily, you can get a book that’s been out of print for years on Amazon.com or Ebay.com. There are so many ways things have changed and this is just the beginning. Whether or not educators embrace these changes will determine how quickly this revolution makes it to all our classrooms.

The second video really motivated me to continue towards my goals of teaching and implementing technology with my students. When Mr. Miller starts talking about how our schools, “need resources we don’t have at this time” including creative teachers it made me realize I can help usher in these fantastic changes. I thought the fact that he brought up the need for “inspiring spaces” went well with my arguments about Smartboards. Sure, you can complain they cost too much or they encourage teacher centered learning but I believe the cost of NOT having exciting technology tools in our classrooms is much higher and Smartboards inspire creative, student-centered learning in the hands of the right teacher.

I love the idea of the humanities and the sciences working together to create exciting new learning experiences and information exchanges. It should have been that way all along, but now there is real purpose in their collaboration. When Mr. Miller said, “We can do this. We should do it,” tears actually formed in my eyes. It is a great time to be in education!

Connectivism Model and Questions

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

I really love the way this video is made. The producers are so creative to think of using pictures and words in this way. The message is profound. If most teachers actually used the idea of connectivism in their classrooms, and had the resources to do so, our students would not be falling behind some in other parts of the world. One of the best statements in the video is, “The tools themselves are not as important as the connections made possible by them.” This is a perfect example of an argument to spend money on technology in our schools. Although, I don’t think the people who promote constant testing would think so. However, this type of learning does empower students. It is so different from what most teachers today grew up with they probably have a hard time imagining the possibilities. Most students would get excited about learning by using this real world approach and they would be better prepared to solve the complex problems they face in the future.

Using PLN’s is a terrific way to teach students about determining the validity of information they come across on the Internet. This is one of the most important skills we can teach students. It has always been important, but now it is even more so because of the volume of information and the diverse population students will encounter across in their lifetime due to the global nature of our lives. The idea of giving them access to a virtual textbook with continuous updates is truly wonderful! No more worries about that outdated map on your classroom wall!

The video does an excellent job explaining why we still need teachers in the technology-enhanced classroom. Students need help maneuvering this new world, guidance along the way, a model of behavior, and someone to help them determine what is credible information and what is not. My worry is that we will not figure out how to fix the problem of segregation between rich and poor schools soon enough. It is so sad when some teachers have all the technology and do not use it and others make the most of one outdated computer. I want to imagine a future where all public schools have access to lots of technology and all the teachers use it effectively in the ways described in this video. I hope I can help make this dream a reality!

2 comments:

  1. I liked what you said about a revolution going on in education. I think you are right. And like you said, we don't see it because we are living it now. I would call it the digital revolution. In my day job I teach people who are blind to use computers. I'm always telling them that now is a good time to be blind. With today's digital technologies we can do so much more than we ever could before to make things accessible and the best part is that it will only get better.

    The dream of merging the humanities and the sciences is one that I share. Through networking and sharing ideas cross discipline, we will be able to better deal with the issues of the day to build an even better tomorrow. Of course, some would call this pie in the sky but I prefer to think of it as food for thought.

    I am really impressed with your use of graphics and links on your blog. I like your ideas even better. You are doing a great job and I have no doubt that you will be a fantastic teacher. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were so thorough with your comments. The accessibility of books are so much easier today. I enjoy your comment about how students need teachers to help them maneuver this new world, I agree. Great post and graphics!
    -Sara

    ReplyDelete