Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Blog Post 10: PLE and Two Questions Videos

Personal Learning Environment Internet Icons

Welcome To My PLE

In this video a 7th grader gives a tour of her Personal Learning Environment (PLE). It is quite impressive. She has a lot of things on her PLE that I do not have on my Personal Learning Network (PLN). I like the way hers is organized on http://www.symbaloo.com/ Symbaloo. I signed up with the site after watching the video, but I have not figured out how to use it yet. I like the way she has her school sites and her personal sites organized there in the same place and I would like to do the same. That way, you can start your digital experience in the same place no matter what you need to do and if you come across something good for school while you are browsing for personal items, you can easily put it there for later. She also has sites like http://www.evernote.com/ Evernote bookmarked there, which is a great idea. I love that site, but I have not gotten in the habit of using it yet. I know it will be helpful to both my personal and educational needs. This student did a great job with the screencast and organizing her PLE. I need to put some time into organizing my PLN, but if a 7th grader can learn how to do it I should be able to also!

Two Questions That Can Change Your Life: by Dan Pink

Two questions that can change your life from Daniel Pink on Vimeo.


This video gets you thinking about what you hope to accomplish in your life. It asks you to answer the question, “What’s my sentence?” What is my absolute goal in life? For a long time, my goal has been to help students appreciate themselves and the value of learning. So, I believe my sentence (for now) is, “She helped students learn their strengths and weaknesses, improve upon both, and become lifelong learners.” That is my mission in life. I do not need fame or money. I just want to know that I made some people’s lives better by helping them appreciate themselves, each other, and the value of knowledge.

The other question Mr. Pink wants us to answer each night before we go to sleep is, “Was I better today than yesterday?” I think this is great advice because it keeps us focused on our ultimate goals. Everyone makes mistakes in life, but we can keep improving as much as possible and it will help make the world a better place in the end. There is no greater goal than that. I will try to incorporate these ideas in my life. In fact, I think I will by Dan Pink’s book, Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us because in it he offers some great ideas about motivation we can use in our classrooms.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this student's PLE is very impressive. After I finished watching this video, I signed up with Symbaloo. I like how you can organize everything and you can access it from any computer.
    I really liked the question in Pin's video, "Was I better today than yesterday?" There is always room for improvement not matter what stage in your life you are at. As long as we are living we do need to help make the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete